The piercings are a trend that is still very much alive in people of all ages, both men and women. They are used in the typical areas of the face and nose, eyebrow, lips, ears and even in other parts of the body very intimate but you must be careful about piercing infection.
The procedure to make them properly is the experience of the practitioner places but also requires care on your part because in many cases often it become infected, causing severe skin disorders.
When a piercing is infected for various reasons as the material it is made, allergic reactions, poor placement, rubbing the area or lack of hygiene among others.
Most of these factors are reversible if detected early and can be reached save the drill or if not possible, at least avoid the marks and scars.
Tips for piercing
- Check that all the professional tools used (needle, catheter, etc.) are disposable and some others like tweezers, sterilized.
- The material of the piece must be of surgical steel (most common) or may be titanium and niobium, which does not cause allergies or reactions. Have also been some plastic or silicone.
- The first piece is placed in the recent hole should be large, because the area swells. Then when the wound is healed you can start using the final piece.
- Maintain hygiene in the area once the piercing, avoid friction and be constantly touching.
- Use as a disinfectant products and creams (only indicating the professional) to clean the area.
- Despite following all at face value, always something may go wrong and there is to know how to deal with an unusual swelling, pain, allergy, or the like.
Most areas of the skin will heal the same, except the oral mucosa, genital and nasal.
Anything surface drilling should be cleaned 2 times a day with antiseptic soap. You can also spray the area with saline to give more hygienic. If there are early piercing infection (wounds, swelling, redness, etc.) use a specific anti-inflammatory ointment for skin. But this should never touch the wound, only the surrounding area. Thus check whether it improves the treatment area for a few days, but consult a professional because maybe the problem is beyond the classic infection.
For mucosal areas like nose, only cleaned 2 times a day with the same elements but avoids cream.
In the mouth (tongue, frenulum and inner lip area), use mouthwash (without alcohol or water), always diluted water, even after meals, oral sex, and having smoked.
You can also spray the area with saline 3 or 4 times a day.
Other recommendations to piercing infection
- Each time you clean the piercing has to be moved with the fingertips (before, wash your hands well) and gently. Pus is often seen leaving the area and it’s clean. The idea is not to form a hard crust or around then do not let their mobility.
- If there are abscesses near the perforation (a lump filled with pus) should not touch or exploit, but rather continue the treatment to see how it evolves.
- In some cases one can also see a healing over the area, called a keloid. This is an anomaly of healing that some people suffer due to the appearance of excessive fibrous tissue repair after skin injury of varying severity, such as surgical or accidental wound, burn, piercing, or skin lesion. Is treated with creams, silicone, and sometimes, if very severe, corticosteroid injections. In these cases, consultation with the dermatologist is mandatory as the piercing may not be as suitable for the skin.
If you are following these steps, notes that the piercing is infected for several days, consult a doctor quickly, as sometimes may need treatment with antibiotics or undetected allergies or malpractice in placement that require permanently remove the ring .